A little over a week ago we went to Leigh Bardugo’s Six of Crows release party in Donner. It was the release party of the Dutch version of her newest book and together with 150 other readers we got to her Leigh talk about her book and stand in line to get our copies signed. There are many blogs out there reviewing the event, so instead we’re doing a list of best things we learned about Leigh and her books that night!
- Her favorite characters of the Grisha Trilogy are Sturmhond and Genya. (I’m so there with you, Leigh)
- Nikolai deserves his own book and if it’s up to Leigh he’ll get one that includes a great love story. She kind of owes this to him, because she had actually planned to kill him off in the series. Fortunately things turned our differently!
- Some strange writing habits Leigh has include drawing pentagrams in chalk (she said it as a joke, but those great characters have to come from somewhere), using Mac Freedom, engaging in friendly surveillance (holding the phone of your writing friends hostage), walking and talking to herself to get through any problems she encounters with writing.
- She will not write a novel about the Shu Han.
- Leigh is a big Avatar fan, thinks of Matthias as a Scandinavian Zuko and hates that she didn’t come up with bloodbending.
- If she would be a Grisha she would probably be a Fabrikator, because she calls herself a coward and loves to be left alone. However, she would prefer to be a Heartrender, because then she can put any boring person to sleep.
- If Leigh had to spend the rest of her life with one of her characters (from the Grisha trilogy) it would be Tolya. He’s strong, capable, silent and knows how to recite poetry.
- And lastly: Leigh will be writing some other things after the sequel to Six of Crows. We can expect some more stories in anthologies and a novel set in our world that of course does include magic. We can’t wait to read it!
These were some of our favorite things that we learned that night. If we missed any of yours, let us know in the comments!